Commissioners Fundamentals *
The Commissioner has many roles and responsibilities. Participants who attend this program will enhance their understanding of the Commissioner’s multi-faceted position as an advocate, leader, team-builder, strategist and more. Among other topics, the course explores the intricacies of board-staff relationships and boundaries. This is an interactive program which provides an excellent training foundation for the veteran and new Commissioner who would like to update their current knowledge (1.2 CEU). A pre- and post-assessment are also administered.
*One of two courses required for NAHRO Certification.
Special Opportunity for NERC Mid-Winter Conference Attendees!
In an effort to make training more accessible, we are offering Mid-Winter Conference registrants a special opportunity to attend Commissioners' Fundamentals seminar during the conference. The seminar will run parallel to concurrent sessions, meaning that seminar attendees will have full access to all of the Mid-Winter Conference main events, including plenary sessions, meals and receptions.
Conference Registration and Seminar Registration Fee: $600.00 for NERC members
includes plenary session on Monday; seminar & materials Monday & Tuesday; continental breakfast, lunch and receptions on Monday & Tuesday; breakfast buffet on Wednesday Click here to register!
Monday, January 30
Part 1: 10:45 AM - 12:15 PM
Part 2: 1:45 PM - 3:15 PM
Part 3: 3:30 PM - 5:00 PM
Tuesday, January 31
Part 4: 9:00 AM - 10:30 AM
Part 5: 10:45 AM - 12:15 PM
Part 6: 1:45 PM - 3:15 PM
Part 7: 3:30 PM - 5:00 PM
Note: Completion of the course for certification requires attendance at all parts on both days.
- Welcome, Introductions and Expectations, Program Purpose and Objectives
- CE Instructions and Agenda Review
- Diversity in Operations: An Introduction
- Housing and Community Development Programs: Historical & Current Environment Perspectives
- Board Functions and the Individual Commissioner’s Roles: An Overview
Commissioner’s Role, Responsibility and Relationships: Community Stakeholders
- Commissioner’s Role, Responsibility and Relationships: Stewardship-The Public Trust
- Commissioner’s Role, Responsibility and Relationships: Intra-Organizational Issues
- Board Composition and Dynamics: Building Productive and Effective Working Relationships
- Board Governance
- Conclusion: The End of the Beginning
- Closing Remarks
- Post-Assessment and Program Evaluation
Rooms are available at the Boston Marriott Long Wharf at a special group rate of $174 Saturday through Tuesday. Click here to make hotel reservations.
*SAVE by taking both courses required for National Commissioner Certification!
In an effort to make training more affordable, we are offering BOTH required courses at the Mid-Winter Conference. Seminar attendees save on travel and hotel costs by attending seminars and the conference, in addition to discounted seminar registration fees compared to NAHRO. Click below for details.
Ethics for Commissioners Seminar
Sunday, January 29
8:30 AM - 4:30 PM